Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Week 4: Tissue Paper Pom Pom Wreath

Hello my Pinterest Fanatics!  I know this post is a little later than usual, but this week's project took me a little longer than expected! :)

This week, I will be teaching you how to make a Tissue Paper Pom Pom Wreath!!

My inspiration comes from...Catch My Party!!

And the result...

Now, my wreath isn't quite as puffy as the inspiration wreath...but I kind of had to make it up as I went (the inspiration had no instructions).  Regardless, I think it turned out super cute!!

Here's what you'll need for this project...

Supplies:
Tissue Paper (colors/patterns are up to you!)
Scissors (or some other kind of cutting tool)
Floral Wire
Wire Wreath Frame

First, cut your tissue paper into 6"x6' squares!  This is definitely the most time-consuming part of this project!  So, don't get discouraged!  Just keep at it! :)


You'll need eight 6"x6" squares for each pom pom...I needed fifteen pom poms total for the wreath.  You may need more or less, depending on how big your wreath is and how full you want it to look.  And you can use whatever colors you want!!  I used pink and silver because Valentine's Day is coming up...and I wanted a V-Day wreath!

In order to make the pom poms, I first referred to the original Martha Stewart Tutorial.  Now, this was okay...but there aren't any pictures showing the steps!  This is a problem for me, because I am a very visual person!  So, I went to Youtube...and watched a few different video tutorials until I got the gist! :)


Now, stack eight of your 6"x6" pieces of tissue paper and fold it accordion style!  I folded it in about one-inch increments.  So, it should look like the picture above when you're done.


Once you are done folding the paper, make sure to trim the ends.  You can make each end rounded (like me!) or your can make the ends ponted...depending on what look you're going for! :)


Now, it's time for the floral wire.  Cut a piece of wire that is approximately 6-8 inches long.  It doesn't have to be exact; it just has to be long enough to wrap around the tissue and attach to the wreath form.  Fold your piece of wire in half and slide over the folded tissue paper.  Your wire should be in the middle of the tissues.  Once in place, twist the wire several times to secure.


Aaaaand...it's time for the fluffing!!!  Fluffing is basically just separating the pieces of tissue paper.  Make sure to do this very carefully so you don't rip the paper and separate each piece one at a time!  Personally, I separated half of the pieces toward the "top" of the pom and then flipped it over and separated the other half toward the "bottom."  In my opinion, this gives it more of a uniform look once complete!  You may need to manipulate the tissue paper a little more in order to get it to look the way you want...but you'll get it! :)



Now, you are going want to make about a million of these!!
Okay, maybe not a million...but you'll need quite a few!
Like I said earlier, I used fifteen poms for my wreath.


Once you have made all of your pom poms, it's time to assemble your wreath.  This part is very simple...just attach each pom pom to the wreath form with the wire!


And look how AWESOME it turned out!! :)

Now...it's your turn...

Have fun!

Come back next week for another great project!!

XOXO
Brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment