Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Week 3: Fabric Flowers


Hello my fellow Pinterest Fanatics!  I hope you are enjoying my blog so far!  I am certainly enjoying it! :)

This week, I am teaching you how to make some absolutely adorable Fabric Flowers!  I learned how to make these a while back...and I absolutely LOVE them!  You can use them for soooo many things!  I have used them on wreaths, made them into hair clips, and so many more things!  The options are endless!

My inspiration comes from Obstinate Pursuit!


And my version...


Here's what you'll need for this project...


Supplies:
Cotton Fabric (any color, any print...I usually buy fabric quarters)
Scissors
Compass/Drinking Glass/Circle Cutting Tool
Pen/Pencil/Sharpie
Needle
Thread
Felt
Buttons
Hot Glue Gun
Glue Sticks
Iron (Optional)


First, iron the fabric to eliminate any creases.  This is optional, but it makes it easier to cut the fabric pieces more evenly.  (obviously, I forgot to iron my fabric before beginning...but I would highly recommend it)




Now, use your compass/drinking glass/cutting tool and your pen/pencil to create circles on your fabric, of all the same size.  I make three sizes of flowers, small (1 in radius circles), medium (1.5 inch radius circles), and large (2 inch radius circles).  You will need 6 circles for small flowers and 5 circles for both medium and large flowers.



Once you have your fabric cut, go back to the ironing board!



Fold each circle in half and iron in place.  Then, fold each circle in half again and iron in place.  Again, the ironing is optional, but I think it makes the flowers look nicer. 


Now, hand stitch along the "raw" edge of the fabric.


Then, pull the thread tight to form the petal. 



Repeat this with the other folded circles (6 for small and 5 for medium or large), using one continuous piece of thread. 


When done stitching the petals, you need to stitch the last petal to the first petal in order to create a circle.  Now your flower is starting to come together!


Next, you need to cut a small circle from your felt.  I find it easiest to trace a coin and then cut it out.  Hot glue the piece of felt onto the BACK of your flower.  Make sure to put the hot glue around the edges of the felt, so that it sticks to the fabric and is not just sticking out of the hole in the center of the flower.



Now, it's time to add your center.  Choose a button and hot glue it to the FRONT of the flower.  Again, making sure to put the glue around the edge of the button, not in the center.


And...you're ALL DONE!  Now, isn't that just adorable?!?

Here is an example of one of the wreaths I have made using these flowers...


 It's pretty cute, right? :)

Well, that's all for now!
I hope you guys enjoy this project!

And stay tuned for another great project next week!

XOXO,
Brittney


No comments:

Post a Comment